I am constantly bombarded by allegations that almost every relatively unusual event is the result/proof of some conspiracy/plan set by a specific powerful entity.
The typical reasoning behind such claims follows:
"X happened because there is Y beneath it, and this event is the very proof of this fact!"
Here are some examples:
- " Homosexual marriages are quite common today, because armageddon is approaching!" "
- " Our country can't develop further, because USA, China and other developed countries are afraid of us!"
- " 9/11! Whom else might have done this? of course the Saddam/Usama Bin Laden/Iran/Pakistan/etc!"
- " Oh Have you recognized the verses on this song when you play it backwards? This is the proof of Satanists!"
- " Oh look at these cards published in 1995. This is the exact life we are living in today. Damn you illuminati!"
- " Omg I can see it, Here is the proof that Jesus was real. How else a face would appear on a toast? What is that you are holding? A Tortilla. May I look at that a bit closer? Ohhh, again!"
What is the name of this attitude of over-reductionism everything to some specific thing? A cognitive bias? Defense Mechanism? Straw man? Reduction ad Absurdum? Even maybe Chewbacca Defense [ This question encompasses the title of the question as well.]
Secondly, is there any term for "that specific thing" people reduces everything to? I want to be able to say "you associates everything to illuminati, because illuminati is your X" What term may I use here for X?
UPDATE: Other question of mine sounds related to this one. If you are intrigued by this question, check that one as well: Why are people inclined to praise or fear the unknown?