Cognitive Sciences Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for practitioners, researchers, and students in cognitive science, psychology, neuroscience, and psychiatry. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was wondering if a person could be hypnotized to act drunk? That is, can a person totally lose all his inhibitions while in hypnosis (similar to being drunk)?

share|improve this question

Yes (video example of Derren Brown making a man drunk) with caveats:

  1. Not for every person being drunk means loosing his inhibitions
  2. You can't force people to do something they don't want to do (example by Anthony Galie)
share|improve this answer
And is this Derren Brown reputable? – Christiaan Jun 17 at 12:18

It all depends on the person's experience and your capability of getting him/her in the drunk experience.

I have done it, and it worked well but he did not experienced every synthom. The reason for that is that I took no much time to hypnotize him, it was in a party and I took 15 minutes to hipnotize him. An interesting thing is that he had necer been drunk, I said him how it feels to be drunk and that he would learn the feeling each time he saw a drunk person. It worked very well for him.

I think that the answer for your question depends purely on the person, it is easy if you want to do something like I did, i think it would be more difficult if you want that the person to feel it more like ir really is. If it has been drunk before I think it would be really easy.

share|improve this answer

Some of the information contained in this post requires additional references. Please edit to add citations to reliable sources that support the assertions made here. Unsourced material may be disputed or deleted.

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.