Take the 2-minute tour ×
Cognitive Sciences Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for practitioners, researchers, and students in cognitive science, psychology, neuroscience, and psychiatry. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I recently watched an interesting video that was discussing conveying color to the blind through language. It implied that there may be a way to insert the sensation of color into a person's mind via a series of sounds.

I have looked for articles on this and haven't been able to find much. I was just curious:

  • Is it possible to induce a kind of auditory-to-visual synesthesia?
  • Are there any articles on this?

Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evQsOFQju08

Yes I know :)

share|improve this question
I have edited this question because I don't believe this qualifies as synesthesia. Let me know if you think I've altered the meaning of your question. –  Jeff Apr 2 '13 at 18:11
@Jeff I appreciate your interest, but I've decided to revert to the previous edit since I feel your contribution did change my question. I am essentially asking if there is a way make someone hear in color. Is there a term that you know of that conveys this idea better than synesthesia? If so, definitely feel free to edit again. –  user1006 Apr 3 '13 at 0:04
i understand. my concern is that 'synesthesia' is a neurological conditions, and so it is impossible to 'induce synesthesia' by virtue of its definition (short of rewiring the cortex...). Perhaps just changing it to 'synesthesia-like symptoms' would suffice, or maybe someone else has a better suggestion –  Jeff Apr 3 '13 at 0:10
also, could you possibly cite or provide a link to the original video if possible? it could help us figure out if a) your interpretation is simply incorrect or b) the claim isn't really a scientific one, etc. –  Jeff Apr 3 '13 at 0:37
@Jeff Haha, well I have a guilty pleasure Youtube channel, vsauce. Not exactly the most reputable source of scientific material, but interesting nonetheless. The question now includes a link if you're interested. The wording of the question was my own. If the terminology was not quite right, by all means adjust it. –  user1006 Apr 3 '13 at 1:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.